My Photo
Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Lepkuchen Cookies

This recipe has been in my family for generations. I don't think I've ever gone a Christmas without consuming at least on Lepkuchen Cookie. Here's the recipe for a half batch (which makes about 100 cookies):

HALF BATCH

3/4 cup gran. Sugar
5 cups (that’s right-5) flour
1/2 teas. Salt
1 teas. Baking Soda
1/2 Tbs. Cinnamon
1/2 teas. Cloves
1/2 teas. Cardomen (kind of hard to find)

Mix the above together and make a hole in the center to which add the following:

Grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/4 cup warm water, 1 egg, 1/2 pt. (1 cup) molasses heated with 1/2 cup shortening until dissolved.

Mix all together until you have a very firm dough (at some point stop mixing with a spoon and use your hands. I broke a spoon last year because I didn't know this and just kept stirring.). More flour may be added. Let stand overnight (I put it in the refrigerator because it has eggs in it, but you’ll have to let it warm up for a while when you take it out of the fridge the next day).

Roll out thin (between ¼ and ⅛ inch, use LOTS of flour so that it doesn’t stick), cut out cookie shapes, bake until lightly brown (somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them and how thinly you rolled them out). Bake at 350°.

Decorate with frosting if desired. In my family we use cake decorating bags and a round tip... but don't use Pillsbury frosting (or whipped with any brand), because it won't solidify.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home